View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 08:16 PM   #24
jhnpldng

Re: faux-tina paint jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBEEP View Post
My wife asked me to build her a raised garden bed. The patina is real, the truck was a 1.5 ton farm truck, the bed was 300 miles away. Then I found the appropriate tow . . .
Should drive the chevy and find a ford or dodge to rot away in the ground though. LOL
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had no idea patina was so popular until recently. Yeah, I'm a bit behind. Searching ebay under Cars & Trucks for the word "patina" under "sold" and it's just nuts. $8K and up for any ole pos as long as it has patina and 18-20s. Crazy. Makes me thinks there's some money to be made in old trucks for a change.

And here I've always sprayed a coat of primer over all my patina vehicles so they wouldn't stand out so much. Lot of that has to do with the area I lived in ctrl FL where you WILL get pulled over of you stand out. So glad to be gone from there. Gave up my 64 gmc to do so though.

When I was in the sign business, I did a lot of Disney stuff and there was one job where the finish had to be aged and rusted. Trick was, everything was fabbed out of aluminum. They got some product that could be sprayed or drooled on, pt1, then another product was sprayed on and over time it would rust pt2. Time was anywhere from an hour to overnight. Pt3 was a clear coat and it would stop the rust/reaction. This was real rust because the first product had iron dust in it but it was on brand new paint and could be put on anything really. Plastic, wood, whatever. I'll have too see if I can find out what it was. That would be the ticket. Realistic yet no metal harmed. Get sick of it, sand it off and paint it.
jhnpldng is offline   Reply With Quote