View Single Post
Old 02-22-2016, 03:03 AM   #1887
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Glad you are not finding a supre lot of bad damage in the engine Rian. That green is pretty. Those red wheels would look real good on white.....but I am a bit prejudice.
The joys of Photoshop....

The engine, well Martin and Paul felt it was good, needing some work, so that's good for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60chevyjim View Post
does you lower timing chain gear have more than one keyway in it ?
some aftermarket performance ones have three keyway slots in them so you can advance or retard the cam timing .

I am thinking about different colors for my truck too .
it is flat black and white in my profile picture .
but right now the right side is spray canned satin red and the left side is spray canned light satin turquoise , the roof is still white . its tuff to decide so after I look at it for a while hopefully I can decide what color I like better .
it still needs all the body repairs done so no harm playing with colors on it to see what looks good.
I don't want gloss paint on it when I do paint it for good .
I want the paint to look old so it matches my chrome trim.
Thanks Jim, looks like you had the answer.

Here's a reply from Garage Journal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Heine View Post
Rian, I think the crank sprocket has multiple timing marks because I see a second keyway (there should be a third as well). Pretty sure those sprockets can be installed 4 degrees advanced, straight up and 4 degrees retarded (should that be "challenged" rather than "retarded"?). There should be 3 timing marks on that kind of sprocket.

I'm not that familiar with small-block issues but my '87 Corvette 350ci (5.7L) with 85,000 miles belched blue smoke when it started up. I pulled the valve covers and removed the valve springs, one cylinder at a time. The intake valve seals looked fine but I replaced them anyway, along with the springs (they do weaken over time from the heat cycles). I found this on the exhaust valve -- nothing.

I carefully removed the exhaust valve spring and chunks of black stuff fell out. I believe its the remains of the exhaust valve seals.

I replaced the seals with Teflon pieces so maybe they'll hold up better.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote