View Single Post
Old 02-28-2016, 07:31 AM   #1900
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I never would have thought about heating the block and heads like that ,very good idea .I have a complete 350 from our Malibu vert that I plan on making a coffee table out of that I need to finish cleaning and paint it .The only reason I have not is I have been waiting to build a new shop and none of the building contractors in my area seem to be interested in giving me a bid .I learn a lot by keeping up with your thread so keep it coming .
John
Thank you John,

This internet thing is there for us all to learn from and share on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Nice job Rian!!
Thank you very much Bill.

Not sure what you are going to make of my next cunning plan.

OK Amigos.......... Let's see some confessions.

Went to bed at 01.30 after various chats with friends in Texas, Missouri and Oklahoma as well as my wife's daughter in California.
At 06.15 there was a furry thing walking all over me, purring and demanding breakfast.
So the lesson really is, unless you have no animals, don't go to sleep so late.
With me awake, I sorted the three cats out, they all have different breakfasts WTF..? And a tower of dry food for their grazing through the day.

Cuppa tea in hand I checked out the various sites and also Summit Racing's website....... Get me drift yet?

Tea done, I went down to the garage in my slippers and a dressing gown (well, it's chilly, so I needed the woolly slippers)

But only after setting the oven at 200'C

I removed all the masking and plugging from threads, then with gloves on, brought the heads up to the house one at a time.

I hear some of you already clearing your throats and shuffling uncomfortably in your chairs.
Some, probably the brave and stupid, which is where I fit in....... Knows what next.

I managed to just get both heads balanced in the preheated oven with the door completely shut to heat cure the VHT paint for an hour.

And in they went.

After about 30 minutes it started to smell like a race track in the lounge where I was reading.....

So I went into the kitchen to find a light haze of smoke.

Easy fix...... Open all the outer doors and windows to the kitchen and rear of the house, isolate from the rest of the house.

After the hour, I turned off the heat and opened the oven door for the heads to cool down so I can take them back to the garage later.

The place still smelled, but I will leave it all open for a while.

Hopefully my next plate of Fish and oven chips does not taste like high mileage multi grade.

And of course there will be a Yankee Candle burning in the kitchen most of today.........

Mrs Boss is back home in the morning.

Took the heads back to the garage, swept the floor, tidied up and also removed all the masking from the book and then proceeded to oil up all the bores, with repeated cranking over to spread a thin film while removing excess, also wiped over the cleaned up mating surfaces.

Am I pleased....?

You bet.
Grizz1963 is online now   Reply With Quote