View Single Post
Old 03-04-2016, 04:17 PM   #23
jrblanke

Re: Finally starting my engine swap project: 5.3/4L60e into '84 short bed 2wd

Quick update. About a month ago I started to disassemble the engine. When I pulled the heads I found rust in 3 of the 8 cylinders. The most severe rust was in the back 2 cylinders on the drivers side that were directly under that bird/mouse nest. The engine smelled like pee when it took it apart so I expect that the mice peed down into the cylinders and it rusted them pretty bad. After pouting for a couple weeks, I decided to clean it up and see how bad the rust was.

I flirted with the idea of just rubbing it down with PB blaster and scotch brite and then reassembling, but ultimately decided to tear it all the way down and hone the cylinder with a ball hone. The main and rod bearings looked good. I freaked out for a second when I loosened the first rod. I didn’t know that the rod caps had a flat side and a not so flat side, so I thought the rod had cracked on the not so flat side. The pistons were all in good shape and showed 0 wear on the piston skirts. I was very pleased to see that.
The honing went ok, but next time I will use a corded drill instead of a battery powered drill. I used ATF as my lubricant (the box said to use 10w30 or brake fluid). The rust cleaned up and while I can still feel it with my finger nail, but it wasn’t catching like it would a scratch. I’m just going to run it and hope for the best. I’ll add pictures later.

I said I was not going to go with a different converter, but I’m thinking about going with the TC from the 4.2L trailblazer engine. From what I have read, it stalls around 2600 on a 5.3. I believe I can get one on amazon prime for about $160 shipped.

This weekend I am planning to clean the engine and drop the heads off at the machine shop to see if they need a valve job.

Still waiting on the BP automotive harness to be returned. It has been about 8 weeks since i sent it off. I'll probably check back with them next week. They have a 6 to 8 week lead time right now.
jrblanke is offline   Reply With Quote