View Single Post
Old 03-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #499
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
just as a side bar for you on the brakes.
the abutment plates (those stainless steel plate things that come with the pad set usually) that fit onto the caliper mounts where the pads fit up, are prone to rust underneath. the abutment plates get pushed outwards from the rust swelling up underneath and make the pads fit tight so they don't slide well. I usually sandblast these brackets and also pull the caliper mounting hardware pins out of the brackets, clean the bores and pins, grease well with delco synthetic brake lube, and assemble. put a layer of the lube onto the back side of the pads as well, wherever they contact the brake caliper pistons and also the caliper mount bracket. I usually put a liberal coating on the underside and top side of the abutment plates as well, where the pads actually fit in. anywhere that the new pads will contact other than the friction surfaces. we get extreme weather up here in Canada and this is what works best for here, can't be that wrong for other areas with humidity. also, where the rotors fit against the flanges, usually some antiseize compound just to keep the rust off. I undwerstand you are installing new stuff but you can lube accordingly to keepthe rust devils at bay.
the air in the brakes may be due to trapped air in the antilock brake motor valve system. it takes a scanner to open the valves in that unit so it can be bled out. maybe have to "take it in" when you are all done and ready to put tags on it.
I wish I was as far ahead as you are. buddy just dropped off the doors for his '54 for me to do some bodywork and spray some high build. gonna get on that when the audi tt is out of the shop..........another day another issue, haha.
Didn't see any rust to speak of. All the stainless was still stainless. Had one sliding pin that was a bit dry but it wasn't even on the side that was the worst. This frame had a bunch of miles on it so I went for the full clean up. Man, I hope I don't have to scan to get the air out. I hope the fact that I was able to drain the brake fluid through all four corners today using my buddy Jim's pressurizing contraption means I'm off the hook. I'll let you know how the final bleed goes tomorrow.

By the way, to give others who may be contemplating a body swap like ours, I could have bought a 2006 Envoy XL yesterday in the IN-OP lane at the auction for $350 plus auction fees. Vehicle was in tact, had a 6 cylinder and had 143k on the clock. It was not wrecked so I am not sure what was wrong with it. It would have certainly been a good starting point especially in light of the fact that you could have recouped some of the money, if not all, selling off body parts.
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote