View Single Post
Old 03-31-2016, 09:40 AM   #24
C1ph3r

Re: Papaw's truck - A C1ph3r build thread

What a mess. Get some coffee, this is a long useless rant.

i am the opposite of Midas. Instead of gold, everything i touch turns into a knuckle busting pile of rusty crap. With lots of cursing. My vehicles are all built with literal blood, sweat and tears.

Started replacing my turn signal lever assembly. Not knowing what all had to be taken apart. Fist my stearing wheel puller slipped and really damaged the threads on the shaft. So that led mt to have to go buy a die to fix it. Then after so trial and error figuring out how the shift lever and the signal assembly come out, i started putting in the new.

Along the way I had to replace the fiber optic cable to the shift indicator and the shift indicator housing.

I ended up putting it back together 2 more times because every time it seemed that I left something off. First was the rubber boot, then was the plastic busing thing.

On the plus side, I am a master at taking the top of my column a part now.
Down side, my horn still doesnt work.

So yesterday was spent teaching my niece how to use tools. But turn more into a if you buy an old vehcicle be preparied for anything.

So we were trying to work on putting in a heat riser valve delete.

I didnt realize all that would have to be removed as for the exhaust. I also didnt realize that how the donut gaskets were put on. i really messed up the downpipe area that the donut fits over.

to get the stock y-pipe to drop down far enough, i had to cut out the muffler. i am sure it wasnt original but wow what a rust monster it was.

so after many trips back and forth to the truck and car shop for parts thinking I was missing something, i finally decided to abandon the stock single exhaust. I needed new down pipes and muffler anyway so, I am upgrading to a Heartthrob true duel with turbo mufflers.

In the long run it isnt what I want because there is no way it will lay frame with all that mess hanging down, but the truck isnt driveable to get to a muffler shop, i dont trust the ones around here anyway, and I am a long way away from laying frame.

So for now, truck is stuck and not going anywhere.

Today's (03/31/2016) plan, get the horn working, get the turn signals working better, and maybe the wipers working better.

Thanks and sorry for the long post. If you even made it this far.