Thread: Restoring Rusty
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #3483
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty

wow, tough crowd, tough crowd

well guys let me share some insight with you, things I learned along the way while researching this trans, as it may help you

I went the Saginaw 4 speed route and the Muncie 4 speed route first and learned those transmissions were not overdrive transmissions, I was surprised, I did not realize there was no overdrive in the 60's (you know what I mean, I mean not every car had it, I'm sure some did) not even in the 70's

cars ran around with 2 speed automatics for crying out loud with names like Powerglide, and then the 3 speed automatics called Turbo this and that, (non of it being Turbo in any way mind you) then there were 3 on the Tree manuals, wow THREE GEARS really, sounds cool Three on The Tree, but honestly wheres the other gear, LOL

OK, so I punted on the 60s/70s technology and fast forwarded to the 90s ok I will get an NV3500, wait what? they are weak, they come on six banger trucks, ok what about their big brother the NV4500, ok better, but wait the case is longer the stick is going to be between my girlfriends legs, and then theres the whole Getrag mix up confusion (say what? GetWho?) yeah there's the German overbuilt overcomplicated unit that looks like the NV4500 to the uninitiated [pronounced] ME and if you pull the wrong one at the junkyard no one in the States will touch it - go ahead Google it [we'll wait]...

... and then there's the speedo electronic connection instead of the cable, and this and thats, and nope, we'll punt on the 90's tech

OK, back to the 80s, hmmm wonder if these trucks ever came with Overdrive transmissions from the factory? Say what? They did? Thank you Wikipedia.

and that's how we got ourselves one of them 1980-85ish ... (87ish) New Process 833 units
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote