View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 02:55 PM   #1560
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Okay, my BIL Rick has been here from Seattle for most of the week and between fishing, eating chips and salsa and drinking beer, we did get a few things done on CRLS. First off, we setup a string line from the front of the frame to the rear and verified what the laser was saying. The advantage of using the string line was that we were able to determine a bit more accurately where the bend in the frame starts (right around the trans x-member). By the time you get to the front frame horns, the spec says you should have 14" from the frame to the C/L. We had slightly over 15" on one side and less than 13" on the other. So I'm confident the frame is tweaked, even though it has no obvious buckled spot.

Precision Collision is still backed up on their frame rack, so I took a chance and went back to the local shop that did the work originally. Took my pictures and described to the owner what was happening. After I finished, he said the reason they no longer work on this model truck is that no matter what they do to the frame, the body panels never fit correctly. He swore that when the frame left his shop they would have checked all the factory measurements, so he had no idea how it could be in this condition. He did soften up a bit eventually, but said the earliest he could have another look at it would be the middle of June. So I'm now heading in another direction. Scott put me in touch with a stock car buddy of his. He's getting the contact info for the guy (Mike) that does a lot of frame work for those cars around this area. Assuming I can get a place in line, I'll see if he can put this issue to rest.

Meanwhile, we cranked out the Aeromotive in-tank fuel pump mount. Started with some aluminum angle and fit it into the block off plate that came with the Boyd's tank. I used AN bulkhead fittings for the pressure and return lines. The wiring feed-through is a brass compression union that I modified on the lathe and potted with JB Weld where the wires feed through. Voila! I now have a 340 lph, 90 psi pump for under $150. We ended up switching the fuel line to the driver side since the LS3 fuel rails connect on that side. Mounted the regulator/filter to the angled cross member which kept the return line short.

While Rick was here, he also helped me repair my ancient Craftsman air compressor. The tank was leaking a tiny amount from the weld around the drain bung. Looked like an automated wire feed weld and right at the start/finish overlap there must have been a tiny inclusion caused by an impurity. Over time, the pressure and corrosion opened up a tiny little pinhole that would weep an occasional drop of water. Rick removed all the hardware and we laid the tank on it's side, cleaned the area and then welded up the pinhole. Good as new!
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote