View Single Post
Old 05-21-2016, 07:00 PM   #117
Super_Dave

Re: 1974 C20 Soon to become a project...

Well... After several unfruitful hours trying to get the NVU 'In-Direct Fit Gauge Cluster' to fit on the back of my new OEM Dash Bezel, I have come to the conclusion that it isn't going to do the job as advertised. PLUS... given that the gauges were packaged so poorly and the Tachometer bezel was nicked and scratched, I don't have any recourse but to return the $900 set to Summit for a refund. I think NVU had a good idea but more effort should have been spent refining the concept and ensuring repeatable accuracy. It would not have take much, and perhaps they will one day come to this conclusion.

Issues:

The replacement rear housing on the NVU gauge cluster is laser cut and then heat formed to simulate the angle for the four system gauges. This is a hit or miss proposition at best, as you are at the mercy of the shop monkeys ability to heat the material in the same place and bend it to the same angle EVERY time. These are clearly not done on any jigs to control accuracy. NVU's response to poor QC and production techniques, is to tell you that you might have to re- heat and re-bend your $900 cluster to fit; something that should have been fully disclosed on their website and isn't... UNACCEPTABLE.

The large Speedometer and Tachometer gauge holes in the NVU replacement housing is laser cut to accept the gauges. As noted in a previous post and accompanying photos, their secure ring is actually an injection moulded part with random length legs that were cut from the injection with Dykes; requiring every leg to be re-cut and filed to the same length. For a $900 cluster this is... UNACCEPTABLE.

The large Speedometer and Tachometer gauge holes in the NVU replacement housing were not cut on the correct center to center dimension. Either the Tachometer fits over the back of the dash bezel or the Speedometer fits over the back, but NOT BOTH at the same time. The holes were laser cut 1/6"+ off center and there is nothing you can do to correct it except spend an inordinate amount of time filing and grinding one of the large gauge holes to line up with the back of the Dash Bezel. For a $900 cluster this is... UNACCEPTABLE.

The small system gauges have their own issues.
On the back of the Dash Bezel, the system gauge housings have a slight inward rounded crown on the lip; in other words, the lip is not flat.
The inner diameter of the NVU gauge bezels are too small to fit 'over' the housing lip and outer diameter is too large to fit 'inside' the housing lip. What ends up happening, is the gauges 'skate' around on the back of the housing without a hint of positive engagement. For a $900 cluster this is... UNACCEPTABLE.

When it's all said and done, all these issues; from extremely poor packing to poor manufacturing QC and extremely poor fit, this $900 gauge cluster is on it's way back.

Perhaps others have had great, resounding success and enjoy their $900 purchase. I have not and will not be entertaining any future purchases from NVU.

"Life is tough - wear a cup!"
"Old Enough to Know Better - Too Young to Resist"
"Junk is something you will need three weeks after you throw it away."
Super_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote