View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 06:50 AM   #153
MacQuigley

Re: The Super Duper Haggis Hauler

Well I didn’t get much dome this weekend. I had the first car show of the season on Sunday and it took me most of Saturday to prep the Land Rover (always takes longer that first time each year).

Anyway a little progress was made on Saturday and I got another coat of clear on the rear fender.

Again the lighting in the garage doesn’t do the colour justice. It’s a good but darker than it looks in the picture. Anyway I need to flat it back then polish it up to remove the dust fragments but Im happy with the finish. Not being a painter I think with care and time I will get the finish I want on the truck.

So yesterday I made a start on the drivers side rockers. Now that I had the parts I needed (thanks again Ian) I took the plunge and started cutting.

This is what I started with

And this is where I ended up

The rear door pillar bottom could have been saved. It was cracked and I could have welded it up to be honest, it was thin and I had the part so it got cut off and will be replaced.

Its still to be trimmed to the exact size yet.

As for the front door pillar lower, what more need I say

So its got cut off and unfortunately showed that the front cab support was worse than I thought

So it will get repaired. It was filled, almost its entire length with a mixture of rust and sand or mud. No wonder it was rotting!

Fortunately I do have a replacement cab support but it was intended for the passenger side, so and order is already away for another (plus rear supports – just in case. At $17 each Id rather have them here)

Sadly I wont get anything much down now until Saturday morning, as Im heading away shortly and wont be back until Thursday (business, not pleasure). But Ive a long weekend coming up the following weekend so I’ll make up for lost time (may even have my suspension upgrades by then, IF I can make up my mind what I want!).
MacQuigley is offline   Reply With Quote