View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 12:21 PM   #167
Woodyboat

Re: Another frikken Volvo ?

WOW! I JUST NOW FOUND THIS THREAD.

When I get a little more time, I'll go back and read it all the way through.

I came to this forum because of my 1986 Big Dually that I will put back to factory condition. I need this truck to pull largish boats. But my daily driver is a 1988 Volvo 240DL. I bought the car in 1994 when it had 134,000 miles on it. It now has over 500,000 and still running very well. I painted it over the winter because it was looking sad. I'll post a few photos soon.

Anyway, my family has been driving Volvos since 1964 when mom and dad bought a 122 Amazon. In the years since, we've owned I think at least one of just about every model that Volvo has made. We have owned:

2 - 122 Amazons
1- P1800
2 - PV544s
1 - PV444
3 - 142s
2 - 164s
6 - 240s including a 1980 GT, (quite rare)
1 - 245 wagon
2 - 740s
2 - 940s
1 - 960

Sorry, no Bertone coupes although my mother has lusted after one ever since they came out in the late 70s. Yours is beautiful BTW.

I agree about your putting a V8 in at least one Volvo. Volvos have ALWAYS been underpowered IMO. They're such solid cars with very excellent road handling characteristics - So much so that they just cry for more power - something that the old guard at Volvo declared that we didn't need. That was one thing that always amazed me. What other car company would tell it's customers that they would not deliver this or that because:

"...You don't need that. If you think you DO need that then go buy a different brand of car."

That's why we saw quirky things like a 73 164 that had power windows in the front but crank windows in the back. And no completely leather seats - only leather FACED seats. LOL

I have a 240 right now that I intend to power with a V8. It is going to be a future project and I am very glad to find this thread. I think it's amazing that the Volvo forums don't have build threads like these. It's just crazy that I have to come to a Chevy Truck forum to find a Volvo build thread.

You Da man!!
Woodyboat is offline   Reply With Quote