View Single Post
Old 06-26-2016, 09:54 PM   #271
sparkydog

Re: Porsche 944: Actually there is a substitute

Schwing!!! I have good news ladies! I was able to sell Halfbreed and am now able to fund further progress on the 944.

For over a year now I have been window shopping on Craigslist for a donor V6 Firebird or Camaro with a manual transmission, California original car (for CA smog rules when transplanting motors), reasonably low miles, running, capable of passing smog, etc etc.

Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a donor. Here it is as of today after doing a little in-patient probing. The car was reasonably well taken care of. It's a 96 Camaro so it has the world-class version T5 with the hydraulic clutch. It had a bad boo-boo on the front and rear passenger side corners. The rear owie was enough to bend the axle - as I discovered when I tried towing it home on the dolly.

Picture of Rrear wheel - if you look closely you can see that the bead lock is basically torn off for a section of the rim. I ended up putting on the spare, then later taking it off and yanking out the brake shoes so the wheel would rub less and then ultimately towing it at 35mph on backroads for 50 miles so that the tire rubber wouldn't get so hot it blew. Made it home but Gilligan's Island style - my 3hr trip took 6 hours.
Attached Images

Last edited by sparkydog; 06-26-2016 at 10:22 PM.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote