View Single Post
Old 06-30-2016, 11:53 PM   #68
Praxiss454

Re: Newbie thinking about diving into a '65 GMC 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by stesch_c10 View Post
Keep us updated
Thanks for your interest. I had a friend over who knows a lot about old cars, and when we tried to start it up via pouring gas into the carb directly, he pointed out a few things I did not notice.

1. The fuel pump was not hooked up. Since I have only really ever wrenched on naturally aspirated motorcycles, I have never worked w/ a fuel pump. I assumed the carb would have enough suction to pull fuel in, but apparently that is not the case.

So we hooked up the fuel pump, and turns out the reason it was unhooked was because it was not functional. Ordered one from Rock Auto for about $24 shipped.

2. The carb had a fuel leak out of the bushing. Friend said he didn't think this was something you could really repair on your own very easily and suggested I just get a new carb. So I found a re-manufactured carb on eBay for ~$165 shipped.

I'm waiting for these to arrive, and in the meantime I'm going to try to clean up some of the wiring mess, and get the door locks rekeyed to match the new ignition cylinder I purchased.

Also looking at pulling off the stock rims, cleaning them up, and getting some new rubber. Thinking a 235/75/15 truck tire would be good, or maybe 215 or 225. I don't plan on changing the ride height at all and I'd like to just have something that looks close to stock. I've looked through the big wheel and tire thread but not too many folks have the stock rims and a stock ride height so it's hard for me to get a good idea of what I'd like, size wise.
Praxiss454 is offline   Reply With Quote