View Single Post
Old 07-05-2016, 11:06 PM   #2251
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: 1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes

Above is a picture showing the new spring compared to the old spring. The new springs are skyjacker 4" lift springs. The old ones were rough country 4" springs. These springs are probably 15 years old or older. They still were holding the weight of the cummins pretty well for used old springs IMO.

Once the front end was done, I had to move to the rear of the truck. I never installed my air compressor and air tank. I decided to mount the compressor to the inside of the frame under the front of the bed. I made the brackets to mount the compressor out of SS and bolted them directly to the boxing plate of the frame rail. This should keep it out of the elements. It is a Viair 480. I put the air tank on the outside of the frame behind the bed side and it is mounted to the bed supports. You can just barely see it hanging below the bed side. It fit pretty well.

Next up was something to control the air bags. I originally was going to use a leveling valve with the dump valve integrated in to it from a semi. Then I found the little larry valves and got the Touche'. It is their 2 way valve. They make a 4 way too. This little valve is actually pretty fast. I made a wooden box to house all this stuff. I have a dual needle pressure gauge for bag pressures, an air pressure gauge for the tank pressure, the air valve, and 4 toggle switches too. I will need to come up with a better, more compact box later. I may also switch to quick connect air line fittings to make working on it easier.

Another thing that was driving me nuts was not having my breather hoses hooked to anything. I got a good sized catch can/breather tank off of ebay and then was having a hard time trying to decide where to place it. I finally decided that the LH inner wheel well was the best place. I wanted it up high so I can route the drain back to the engine eventually. I had trouble fitting it in between the hood hinge and the proportioning valve. I had to tilt it slightly to keep the hood hinge from hitting it when the hood closes. I used some new stainless steel mirror brackets I had laying around to make the mounting brackets for the catch can.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.

Last edited by Dieselwrencher; 07-05-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote