View Single Post
Old 07-08-2016, 02:58 AM   #8
dflarsen77

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

In my continuing saga of PO shenanigans, I've figured out the latest. The truck has a starter button attached under the steering column. I noticed yesterday how it's wired, but while I was looking, I noticed the plug to the neutral safety switch was unplugged. The back up switch was plugged in though.

Some other stuff about the column make me think it isn't original. I assume if it was it would be painted the same color as everything else inside, and it's not. A couple other things, but anyways, I read a bit about the switch, and I decide to take it off, and sure enough, one half of the little tab part on the switch that holds the tab inside the column to know what position it's in, is broken off, and it's basically stuck in the lowest drive position.

So I think of it logically. Owner realizes his truck won't start, asks some bros, they say "hey, check your neutral switch" and he says, yeah, that's it, unplugs it, still doesn't work, then decides to wire up a hotwire start button (1 side direct from the battery, 1 side spliced into the purple line from the harness to the starter). Then it works! Oh but the first button somehow didn't work, even though you DRILLED A GIANT HOLE in the dash above the ignition that I'll now have to weld up at some point. Oh yeah, that switch is still there, wires just hanging down. The 2nd switch did the ticket though...

Adds another shenanigan to the list:
- 73+ bumper on a 70
- Seat track adjusters removed, so just bolted together (I'm tall so it's fine)
- Non-vented tank, non vented gas cap, no vents anywhere
- Has both a crappy Facet electric fuel pump and the mechanical pump still in the fuel line setup
- Toggle switch that powers the HEI dizzy, choke, and the electric fuel pump
- The toggle switch gets power from the resistance wire!
- Both of the normal engine to cab ground straps are not attached. One is broken, one is just not attached
- The ground wire that's supposed to go to the alternator is attached to the block (ah, I see what you did there!). I guess the alternator is grounded to the block? Sure, why not.
- No kickdown for the TH400, which isn't a huge deal, only does 3 to 1 downshifts from what I read. The vac modulator is hooked up though.
- Hotwire starter button vs replacing the neutral safety switch
- But at least with the starter button, I can wire up it up as a kick down! Somehow... I'm not really that smart...

I can't wait to see what I find next!