View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 04:05 AM   #7
Bison

Re: Urgent - brake/turn signal problem.

Update:

(First of all, Mods, could one of you change the thread title to 'Please help - rear turn signal/brake wiring issue'? - Thanks)

Second, I spent a couple hours today crawling around the truck checking wires etc. I think I'm definitely going to start saving for a rewiring kit, as everything is a hack job.

I found wire splices that started out one color, came out the other end of a splice another colour - and the heatshrink tubing over top wasn't 'shrunk' , so I could slide it over and find a 3" piece of another colour wire in the middle *sigh*.

Anyway, I pulled the fuse panel off the firewall, checked connections, and put it all back together. Did the same with dash board connections.

I went to go for a cruise, everything worked for a few minutes...but I didn't even leave the driveway before it blew another brake fuse.

I then found that wIth the headlight switch off, brake and signal lights would work and not blow fuses.

Went for my cruise, bought parts (including LED taillight bulbs, thinking they'd be less draw on the system), got home, installed them, and found that the rear passenger signal works fine, but the rear drivers side doesn't light up at all. Out came the multi meter - the drivers side is getting 9.something Volts, the right is getting 11 some odd.

Grounding the left taillight bucket with a jumper to clean metal didn't help.

I pulled the steering wheel, checked the switch, all the internal contacts are good.

Any suggestions? I find it odd that my brake/signals, dome light, and dash lights are all on the same fuse. Ive taken to using dash and dome lights as indicators. If they don't come on, I know I've lost brake lights...