Thread: Serious Black
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 08:56 PM   #22
snipescastle2

Re: Serious Black

okay, the day of the car show, I experienced an unusual noise, something like what you would get "when you have all the lug nuts come loose on a wheel" take in mind, this happened to me once I got off at an exit, turning right. Any way's, I was fearing the worst, pulled into the Quick Trip there on 291 North, across from the Highway Patrol, jacked the front end up fearing my lugs had come loose....nope not it.....checked the rear wheels, nope not it....checked the drive shaft, nope, not it. so now I'm scratching my head trying to figure this one out, thinking it could be my pinion bearing in the rear end, or axle bearings, but I just rebuilt and or replaced all these, without any issues..... so, I babied the truck all the way to the show, and looked everything over pretty well, but couldn't find any smoking gun......

Yesterday (Sunday) I took it to my uncle's shop, put it on the lift, and pretty much confirmed what I already knew, however, my lower control arms were rubbing the inside edge of my wheels when I made wide turns, so I clearance them while I had it on the lift, still had the weird noise though. Drove it home and parked it.
Well, today, I looked again and everything I had checked twice before was fine, but I figured I'd check my front end just for the heck of it, grabbed the steering wheel and gave it a turn, and "Bingo" !!! I found that weird noise I was hearing. as I turned the wheel, I put my flood light on the area under the hood and then, the problem stuck out like a "Sore Thumb" the pinch bolt for the steering shaft to the rag joint was hitting the Emergency brake cable sheath, causing the grinding, ratcheting noise I was hearing.....talk about driving you nuts trying to find something like this.....glad it's over, I drove the truck after I relocated the cable away from the steering shaft just to make sure I had indeed found the problem......Man! am I relieved!!! I thought it was gonna be an expensive repair....... I don't know why this didn't happen before during any of the other trips around town, oh well, it's done and I can get back to enjoying it now!
Here's a picture showing the problem.....
Have a great evening!
Ben
Attached Images

snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote