View Single Post
Old 08-20-2016, 12:29 AM   #9
Ghost's68

Re: And so it begins! Ghost's 68 project

Hit a small bump in the road while trying to install my new redhead steering gear box. The one I ordered for the 68 had a larger input shaft. About a 1/16" bigger. Call up to RedHead and they figured out I had a unit used on 78? And up. I forgot what year Steve told me. Shipped me what I needed with a return label for the first one. Awesome guys up there and super helpful. New one installed and feels SOOOA much better.

I began to get all my steering parts in order and ended up pulling the correct steering link from a junker this week. So the PO who did the disc conversion just cut the head off of a 73-87 outer tie rod, cut the original tie rod head and then welded the later year tie rod head to the orignal threaded shank. You can see in the pic the weld area. So now we got correct year period componenets. Thanks again for all those who helped along the way! You guys rock

The original one on the left and newer centerlink on the right. Going to get the new one cleaned up painted up.

I'll try and take some pics of the steering gear tomorrow. I ended up dropping off the control arms to have the shafts installed. I tried for over an hour and was having trouble. I don't have a large vice, air compressor and or air tools. Solely working with hand tools. I couldn't even find sockets in the size I needed so I gave up. Lol. Hope to start putting all the parts together next week. Still waiting on the rear springs to arrive. ECE was waiting on their supplier.
Ghost's68 is offline   Reply With Quote