View Single Post
Old 08-21-2016, 06:09 AM   #216
Ironangel

Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

You did a hellofa fit up for junk panels Gary, well done! I keep a jar of small teck-screws handy during fit up. They're easier than clamps and the holes fill with a spot weld, they're more forgiving if you have to move a piece a little too. I make lap joints where ever I can for ease of welding. I cut the cab corners right at the formed point with a small lap, when I run that bead the weld becomes the rolled point and a sanding flapper disk on the angle grinder will contour the final body lines. I like the Tri-Plus body panels. Rockers should have a 3/4" - 1" hole in the end that allows undercoat or your favorite rust inhibitor to be sprayed inside the full length of the rocker. A simple thin plug installs in the hole. Heres a pic of the cab corner transition where I make the cut & weld, leave the top long for a lap from the new lower panel. I like to use the one piece outer floor/inner rocker panel as it helps locate and integrate the cab corner and pillar as well as the floor. Heres a link to my first rocker & cab corner R&R. Looks like your doing just fine though, just some ideas that may help, good luck! https://www.facebook.com/michael.hil...1197237&type=3
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote