View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 11:50 PM   #3
Praxiss454

Re: Newbie thinking about diving into a '65 GMC 1000

Well I finally got the correct damn seat springs this week. They were quite rusty, which was disappointing as all the springs in my bench were 100% rust free. Hit em w/ some Ospho and then some black enamel the next day. Once they're dry I'll try to button up the seat, tape/patch the vinyl tears, throw on the saddle blanket, and call that part 'good enough for now'.

I also priced out bed wood. I'm thinking of just doing common board from Home Depot, which for the wood alone will cost about $130. This is far cheaper than I can find any other wood of the proper width. Priced out some nice looking s4s pine from the local lumber yard at $280, and nice looking oak for about $350. If I go the common board route, I won't feel as guilty about leaving the truck outdoors this winter, or using the truck as an actual utility vehicle.

We'll see though, any time I try to do a wood project, it's like measure twice, cut once, realize you cut em wrong, measure again, damn you don't have enough board left, go back to the store...