View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 11:35 PM   #338
mikentosh

Re: Project Cannonball C10

Another thing we found during the runs last weekend was the power steering system isn't keeping up during heavy use. Not really a surprise with 13" front tires and a quick ratio fox body steering rack. First thing to do is put in a steering cooler. I happen to have a nice Setrab unit that matches the oil and trans ones, but we skipped putting it in when we did the initial build last November.

The other issue I have discovered, which doesn't seem to be talked about much, is cast iron GM type 2 power steering pumps max out at 5000rpm. Above that and they really cavitate the fluid and mess things up. I've got a 5.5" pulley on the pump, and a 7.48" crank pulley which works out to > 5000rpm at the pump when engine rpm is at 4000. One option is to put a bigger pulley on there, but not a lot of space between that and the oil thermostat. Other option is to move to an aluminum pump like the KRC ones, which maxes out at 9000rpm instead. The nice thing about those pumps is their reservoirs have AN fittings so no worry about crappy power steering leaks. Unfortunately they are really, really expensive pumps We might get it out to Crows Landing next month for another round of autocross and will see if the steering holds up again...then maybe an upgrade over the winter.
mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote