View Single Post
Old 09-24-2016, 01:10 AM   #94
Flysocal

Re: 1949 Chevy 3100 Build Thread

Frame is back in garage. Cab bolted to frame. Man it feels good just having the cab on frame feels like progress. Scotts ifs crossmember welded in place it fit really nice. Spent some time on the rack and pinion. Rubber bushings left me scratching my head. They seemed too long but after some research the long side is compressed by the big washer and bolt and it mushrooms. Not intuitive at all!

I've been thinking about using polyurethane bushing throughout but I think I will stick with rubber because it should offer more vibration absorption. This will be a daily driver after all.

Starting to box the frame. Engine mount area is done. Tranny mount area tacked up. I don't want to get carried away with boxing until I figure out how everything bolts to the frame. Used weldable nuts for running board brackets and plan to do the same for anything that bolts to the frame.

Next project will be engine/tyranny mounting. My 5.3 is just jonesing to get mounted but I'm waiting for corvette crank pulley and water pump so I get adequate spacing between radiator, power rack and engine accessories. with any luck I won't need tranny tunnel.

Flysocal is offline   Reply With Quote