View Single Post
Old 09-24-2016, 07:35 AM   #1285
rkn463

Re: 48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait

Back when I was about 13 (a long time ago indeed) I was riding home with my brother one night in his 68 Camaro that he had "built". I love all of my brothers but like all human beings they each have their quirks. This particular brother always had a few "spare" nuts and bolts left over anytime he worked on his car. So anyway, there we are on a two lane blacktop in the middle of the night when suddenly the car starts shaking really bad. Not knowing what it is he gives it some gas and then backs off and suddenly there is the loudest bang I've ever heard in a car that wasn't just hit by another car, followed by a terrible thrashing and banging. We get the car over to the side of the road only to find that the driveshaft had come loose at the differential where he had forgotten to tighten the clamps. This was back in the mid 70's long before cell phones and we were miles and miles from the nearest pay phone or even a house for that matter. Anyway, in the end the car had a huge dent in the floor and we had a very late night. Back in those days a replacing drive shaft for a 68 Camaro was just a quick trip to the wrecking yard.

I think experiences like that are why I have over think and overdo everything now.

From the looks of the picture his wagon survived pretty well, I'm glad your friend is ok and the car is fixable.

-Richard