View Single Post
Old 10-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #15
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Re: Mechanics tools discussion

I'm not a pro, but I have what I feel is a 'nice' shop at home with a lift and do quite a bit of wrenching. I consider myself a highly committed enthusiast . I get the nicest stuff I can afford. I have quite a few Matco wrenches, ratchets & air tools that I bought 17 years ago when I worked at Firestone while in college, but I have a mix of a few different brands. I have gotten a lot of Sunex hand tools the last couple of years. Their chrome and impact sockets are pretty good, but no so much on the ratchets. I have some Craftsman stuff too that I've had a LONG time that is still holding up. The last few air tools (1/2" impact, 3/8 impact, angle grinder, body saw, DA sander) I've gotten are all Ingersoll Rand, I'm in love with their 'Titanium' line, they are pretty nice and not super expensive. We shall see how long they last.

As for tool boxes, the US General Pro (Harbor Freight) boxes are a great value for serious hobby/light duty use, and that's what I have. I cannot justify spending a few thousand dollars on a box when I could use that to buy more tools. I would almost certainly use a different box if I was a professional mechanic. They are okay, I just don't think they'd last like a Matco or whatever other name brand USA made box would in a heavy duty/every day use environment.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote