View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 01:42 AM   #13
akatc

Re: Project Arrogant Bastard, beer fueled 65 build.

When we bought the truck the fenders looked to be in decent shape. As we started stripping them we found out the bottom half of the fenders had about ¾ of an inch of bondo holding it all together. We found a used replacement set of fenders on craigslist and picked them up for pretty cheap. After further inspection when we got home we realized they wernt in as good of shape as we thought and were also going to require a lot of patch work. We finally decided to order reproduction fenders. We did some shopping around online and found The Truck Shop in southern California to have the most decent prices and selection of parts. Aside from the fenders we were also able to order some pretty big parts we had been wanting to buy like the radiator core, carpet, inner fenders and almost all of the replacement glass for the cab. Because a lot of the parts we ordered were going to require freight shipping charges we made a crazy bonsai road trip down on one of our weekends to pick everything up.

Here is everything we brought home from our trip to Los Angeles

Right before we left for Los Angeles to pick up the parts we lucked out and found some decent inner fenders on craigslist.

The steering wheel had the common cracks when we got it. I restored it with expoy and sanded it down, so far looks amazing.

When your neighbors know you brew beer and have a kegerator readily available you don't get much done.

During one of our breaks from working on the truck we were playing around with the air ride system and realized that manually adjusting the height was going to be a pain in the ass. While sitting inside of the truck it was really hard to tell how level the truck was. I should have listened to the guys from BC Fab in the beginning when they warned me that we would be upgrading within 6 months to the auto leveling. I ended up upgrading to the Accuair E-level system so that going forward I can have preset ride heights and auto leveling.

We're kind of like ferrets, we are working on something, need a break and while “taking a break” start on other little projects that need to be done which sometimes can open a can of worms. For example the seat! We originally intended to have it completely redone by a local shop but after tearing it apart decided it was something we could probably do on our own. I think were going to be able to save the springs and a majority of the original foam. For now its on hold until we can seal the cab back up.

Being 6'2” I needed a little more head and leg room so I re-fabricated the seat brackets. I took out 1-2” on the front and back of the brackets and then welded them back together.

akatc is offline   Reply With Quote