View Single Post
Old 12-27-2016, 05:28 PM   #11
gigamanx

Re: Decision time: Do I bight the bullet and get an S10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
It is NOT the cheapest way to go, it is NOT the best way to go, it is NOT needed to upgrade!

no more money than forcing an S10 frame to sort of fit.

Brian
Not to discount what you're saying as I'm at the very beginning of a journey that many on here have already finished. If it is not easier, cheaper, or the best, then why do people even do an S10 swap? I had read an article recently that talked about all the components needed to upgrade your current frame for IFS, disc brakes, power steering, moving the fuel tank, and lowering the rear end. They added up the cost and it was quite a bit more than finding a donor truck like an S10 that already had all of these components stock. Add to that the newer truck has harmonized components, so to speak. They are designed to work together whereas my attempt at modernizing a 67 yr old frame may not get the same result.

For nostalgic purposes, I'd love to keep the stock frame. The engine and drivetrain were already upgraded by a previous owner to a 1960's 235ci so I don't care to keep that trend going. The rear end is Frankenstein welded to the leaf springs too! I guess it worked for them.

P.S. I am trying to do my research (aka google)
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/new-...ns-191731.html

Last edited by gigamanx; 12-27-2016 at 05:56 PM.
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote