View Single Post
Old 12-27-2016, 10:45 PM   #23
joedoh

Re: Decision time: Do I bight the bullet and get an S10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Well first off, forget about the power steering costing that much and the column, omg if you plan on that, you plan on it with the S-10 too! A column out of a pile of cars in the wrecking yard will the same thing. The fuel tank, same thing, if you are willing to have an S-10 tank then put one, a $50 tank from the wrecking yard. How about that rear end, put an S-10 rear end, $50 at the wrecking yard. See the whole picture here? You don't need a Billit Steering column if you are planning on living with a stock S-10 out of your donor truck, then just get one at the wrecking yard for $50!

Then look at rebuilding that S-10 front, add up all the numbers for tie rod ends and ball joints and new springs because those aren't the right ones, and all that, how about all the stuff, like replacing the brake master cyl when you find it leaks, and then the rotors that have been damaged by the worn brake pad, the hoses, and the few lines that are damaged you didn't notice and on and on and on.

There is a LOT of stuff you will need to buy!

Think about it with an open mind.

Brian
you only seem interested in scare tactics, not actual open mind reasoning. why would hard brake lines be damaged again? I only see the need for replacement on the stock frame, and only because the crossmember comes with disc brakes but none of the supporting hardware like booster or master.

I have done three s10 swaps, two of them ADs. I havent had any of the problems or gigantic hidden costs that you are talking about? Replacing the entire front end components including new brakes was under $600, and if I need parts for a breakdown in podunk idaho I can get them off the shelf for an 82-03 S10. what does the mustang II use? chevelle rotors? grenada calipers? whose bearings? custom stainless lines, bushings from the kit manufacturer, balljoints... better carry a notebook for interchange when trying to order 50 year old parts over the counter, if they even stock them.

I dont have a preference, if I had a reason to use a crossmember kit I would, I have the tools and ability. but I use complete S10 donors for the benefit of all the extra parts that dont come with the crossmember kit, already installed, at a significant savings. Its nice to think about what you would do if money were no object but rarely is it no object. in fact its usually THE object.

the mid engine truck looks great, have you done anything more recently? how about either of the options in this thread, crossmember or S10?

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote