View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 12:01 PM   #32
special-K
Special Order

Re: Any RCMP around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
"Cracker" is typically used as a racial slur toward caucasians in the south. It fits right in with poor white trash and trailer trash... my American history professor taught us that "cracker" originated in the 1800s possibly earlier in colonial America. Crackers were the poor whites at the bottom of the southern society. Some had hard times, bought bad land or failed at farming. They were the unemployed bums of America. He said that most were racist and supporters of slavery, mostly for the purpose of attempting to elevate themselves and not be the lowest class of the new world.
I never heard all that. That may be where it originated but in the second half of the 20th century I knew it to apply to all whites, just like honky. And I never saw a whtie guy get upset over it. My brother-in-law, when my sister met him was in an outrageously good retro soul band (in the '80s) named The Soul Crackers, and most people didn't even realize what the cracker part was about. Actually, after a few other bands between they still play once or twice a year. Sorry for the diversion, but here are the Soul Crackers with my b.i.l. on guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWzAZD1wmWQ

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-08-2017 at 12:10 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote