View Single Post
Old 01-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #1
69_hafton
Sleep-Deprived

Engine Locked Up - Complete Oil Loss in Less Than a Mile

I wasn't planning on replacing the engine for awhile, it was running strong I thought, but I don't know it's history other than the engine was painted black for a quick sale. I did see a little white smoke from the exhaust at idle a few weeks ago, and thought maybe I had some coolant getting in one of the cylinders on the passenger side, but didn't see it as being urgent then.

Had the truck just over a year - 71 4x4 K10 with a 350 4 bbl. and auto - Cheyenne which has had a good deal of body work done to make it a good looking 10 footer looker I guess. I don't want to have a show truck, but it has to be reliable.

3 days ago, I was driving and the truck started smoking from under the hood and started bogging down. I shifted to neutral, and coasted to the safest place I could on the highway, and when I shifted, the engine stalled. There oil all over the right side under the truck, and I can't tell where it pushed out from, but there's nothing on the dipstick. The engine won't turn over, and I can't get on it good enough that I can turn it by hand either. I don't know if this engine is original to the truck, but I would suspect not. At any rate, I'm really thinking about just buying a crate engine for simplicity, maybe a painless harness while I'm doing this all, but I'd like to know what happened also. Never had anything like this happen before, and I have to suspect the oil came from the front of the engine, maybe a bolt hole, a seal or something obvious, I'm just not seeing it.

Any way, just looking for advice and someone to listen to me play the violin
69_hafton is offline   Reply With Quote