View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 12:45 AM   #222
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

Now one of the things I'm stuck on. I need some additional lights in the instrument cluster. The 89 had a brake light that like more modern vehicles comes on with the park brake and if the brakes fail on one half (switch in the proportioning valve). That same light is also wired in where it will come on if the auxiliary pump comes on but fails. Additionally there was a light that came on with the auxiliary pump. So I need those two lights, plus I added switches for oil pressure and water temp. It has gauges but I prefer to have both gauges and lights. I knew there were two unused lights in my cluster so I checked and here is what they are:

Name:  Dash_1.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  30.0 KB

I still need The oil and temp lights so I need two more spots in the cluster. While harvesting parts off of a 79 Caprice I came across the idiot light cluster and It looked like an option I had never considered. What do you think?

Name:  Dash_5.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  22.8 KB

Name:  Dash_4.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  41.8 KB

Name:  Dash_3.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  38.0 KB

It would give me places for both brake lights plus the oil and temp and would allow me to keep the over-speed light. I'd really like to have a factory tach cluster but I haven't come across anything that I've been willing to pay the price for yet. If I do this I could still add a large tach where the fuel gauge is and put in a small fuel gauge where the vacuum gauge would normally sit.

...Alternately I could put lights where the vacuum gauge would normally sit and leave the dummy in the center.

I've imagined several others as well, just not sure which direction to take it. I'd welcome some feedback.

-Richard