View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #22
69_hafton
Sleep-Deprived

Re: Engine Locked Up - Complete Oil Loss in Less Than a Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd1961 View Post
Two things that will always leak on a SBC sooner or latter is a two piece seal and old style valve covers. The center bolt valve covers are way better than the old style.The vortec heads add 30 to 40 hp with better fuel mileage than the old smog heads that are on the 290 hp motor. You will actually have more hp with the vortec engine, 300+ with a four barrel and headers.
You have to run an electric fuel pump, vortec intake and weighted flexplate that fits the one piece rear main seal crank. Most cars on the road today have an electric fuel pump so it's not a big thing to me. I run the Summit brand intake which was around $150 and I believe I gave around $80 for my flexplate but you can get one cheaper.
You get a lot for your money though, vortec heads, hydraulic roller cam, 9.4:1 compression, balancer,not to mention it's a brand new motor not a rebuild.
I have a pair of vortec heads and valve covers my neighbor gave me, I don't remember if there was anything wrong with them at this point. I'm thinking they were okay and that it was a piston/block issue but I may need to check the valves. Definitely give me some things to start looking at.

Looks like I posted in the wrong forum, I don't know where it ended up because I thought I posted in general discussion. Oops! Sorrry...
69_hafton is offline   Reply With Quote