View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #191
robnolimit

Re: No Limit Trailing Arm Rear Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Sort of a weird project that I'd like to know if this could be made to work with.
I'm swapping my 51' Chevy body onto a 01' Silverado/sierra frame. I need to shorten the wheel base about 17" and want to ditch the leafs.
If I was to get the PB crossmember and your kit, would I run into any frame width issues you think?

I'm open to any other options you have as well. I saw you have a kit for the stock frame for my truck as well on your site. Would that be better?

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, I won't say that this 'can't' be done, but I'm not sure I would advise this as a good idea. You could install a PB crossmember, but the front trailing arm mounts would need to be swapped for ours, not sure that is as easy as it sounds. And, that is the easy part. The rail shape of the '01 is not really conducive to the trailing arm suspension. More than that, I need to point out that a bigger concern may be width. The 47-54 Chevy's need a WMS (wheel mount surface) width of appx 58 1/2" to set down and fit a normal spaced wheel. The '01 WMS is close to 65" - I don't know for sure, that's web data, as I don't work on them, - you should measure. But this extra width will push the wheels outside the wheel openings and not let the truck sit down. If you want it 'up' that's OK, I guess. So you have this 01 chassis, which gives you front and rear suspension, rear axle, and eng/trans. Now, you have to shorten the frame, you want to change the rear suspension, the rear axle is too wide, and so is the front suspension, Also, I will take a guess that you will want to lower the front at some point. If your OE 3100 chassis is in good shape, start there. the body will fit correctly, and modifying the front/rear suspension will be easier. Just my $.02, Good Luck.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote