View Single Post
Old 02-02-2017, 01:23 AM   #3
ak47paul

Re: 1970 C10 body swap on a 1985 K20 4x4 suburban

Here is what I have done so far, Once I got the suburban body off and the 85 chassis and 1970 original 4x4 frame side by side I done a ton of measuring. Then I measured some more. I needed a starting reference point that would be what I index everything off of. According to GM prints the rubber axle stop is center of the front axle. after leveling my frame and dropping a plumb bob Mine is not. So that threw me off, Then after going to a frame shop and looking in there books and measuring another suburban. I realized that my axle has moved back a bit on one side (I assume the spring pin has sheared off) Frame shop says it is common. That will get fixed with new springs. The frame was checked and is straight So I am going with the center of the front axle being the center rivet on the rubber stop bracket. I have measured out everything and marked my cab mount centers and double checked everything a couple times. Everything is within a 16th of an inch or less. Then I started center punching and drilling rivets. about 64 of them...lol I removed the factory tank as it is too big for the pickup and ordered a new blazer tank and straps tonight from AM auto. I got the rear frame cut off and the rear crossmember put back in for the new tank. I also cut my plates and brackets for my new cab mounts. they have been test fit and are going to work great. I also ordered a new cab bushing set tonight as well along with New 7/16 grade 8 bolts to replace the rivets I removed from the frame. I have 10 more rivets to remove and the rear end is ready to move forward and reinstalled in its new location, But it got too dark so I had to stop there. While I am waiting on parts to come in I hope to atleast get the rearend done. But it is supposed to be cold the next few days so we will see.
Attached Images

ak47paul is offline   Reply With Quote