View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 12:56 AM   #9
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: High voltage after alternator conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdff View Post
Hi vettevet, looking at your diagram on my very limited electrical knowledge (i'm trying to learn) what is the black dot I have circled #1, is that the evr?? also #2 says fusible link on the wire from the battery is a fusible link an in line fuse. I am considering a larger amp alternator and am just trying to get a total understanding of what all I need to do prior to doing it. I think I understand this pic except for the 2 questions I've ask. thanks for your knowledge and help

I just noticed this new addition to the thread and your questions are easy for me but I will post a picture to help.

Your no. two circle was explained very well by C13HPR. The fusible link is a wire that burns in two if you have a short or too much load on the circuit. They are usually 30 amps for our trucks but you can get them in different amperages for the various loads you may use.

They come in short wire lengths and are four sizes smaller than the wire they fuse. they are designed to be used where current surges are present where the total current draw might exceed the rating for a glass fuse (fast blow) and they burn in two slowly so they usually last through the surge without breaking the circuit.

Your no. 1 is the factory main junction for the power wires in the engine bay including the battery, alternator, external regulator, and the cab power wire. If you have the gauge dash, the ammeter wire will also go there.

Here's a diagram.

Name:  engine wires.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  61.7 KB

Here's what mine looked like when I untaped the harness.

Name:  junction.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  40.5 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote