View Single Post
Old 11-03-2001, 05:47 PM   #4
Southpa

It depends on what is available for a donor vehicle and the current condition of your front end components. I had cracked, rusted and literally busted crossmember to frame brackets. Tie rod ends and ball joints were also on their way out.

I was thinking about ways to replace all those pieces and then I saw the blessing in disguise. It was the perfect opportunity to convert to discs so I decided to replace the whole works. Those brackets are rivetted to the cross member anyway.

The hard part is making sure the donor truck has parts in better condition than your current one. I found a '71 C10 for a donor which had almost everything in good shape. I didn't even have to get new brake pads! for $200 (Cdn.) I might have to replace a few ball joints in a few years (won't we all?) but its a definite improvement.

The only advice I can give you, MarineNav, is to get your current front end checked. Try to find a place that will give you an honest opinion. If they think you need this 'n that replaced within a year or two, you might decide to look for a better complete front end with discs. If you have a solid front end then go with swapping just the brake components.

------------------
Southpa
1970 GMC 1500 Custom
Victoria, BC, Canada

[This message has been edited by Southpa (edited 11-03-2001).]

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote