View Single Post
Old 04-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #285
ibrown50

Re: Ian's Tennessee Honey '64 Short Box Step-side - England

I’ve finally got the door finished and ready for primer, the last few weeks have been bash-fill-sand ….Repeat , I’m so glad it’s done.

Name:  door primer.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  43.6 KB

I also need to paint the door shut before I hang the door, I began prepping it a few weeks ago and discovered bondo in the windscreen pillar (oh dear) a bit of grinding revealed the drip rail was rotten.

Name:  Drip rail0.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  39.7 KB

Luckily once it was removed the actual windscreen pillar turned out to be solid (albeit a little pitted).

I ordered new ones from Steve Lang at Langy’s Rod Shop, sadly Steve passed away shortly afterwards following a long battle with cancer and the world lost another great hotrodder and all round good guy (RIP Steve).

Using the old rail as a template I drilled holes in the new rail to “spot weld” them on.

Name:  drip rail2.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  drip rail3.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  51.1 KB

The welding was a very straight forward task, however, finish grinding was a bit of a pain as the access is tight. I read a number of threads where the owners had used panel adhesive to attach the drip rails, I’ve never used it before so “bottled it”. I may give it a try on the other side (if it needs doing)
Anyway it’s fitted and seam sealed, next job is to prep and paint the door shut.

Name:  drip rail rear.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  45.7 KB