View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 06:43 PM   #34
HAULIN' IT

Re: Calling all slicers and dicers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
I saw a post once where a guy moved the wheelwell opening up a couple inches and forward with a little sheet metal surgery. Matched the back openings perfectly. It was cool.
You have this backwards...look at your truck or simply a photo of one. The fronts ARE the high ones. Im not sure which truck you are referring to but I remember this guy LOWERING his fronts to match the back:
https://www.facebook.com/DV8customs

Not for the purpose of "blowing out your candle" but you need to step back & look at some basic things. As others mentioned, 6" is a bunch from one area & the biggest offender isn't the frame...it has a rather nice rise/hump fore & aft of the suspension. The suspension itself is the biggest waste of inches followed by the frame & then the body mounting. Lets face it, these trucks were made to haul stuff in them. They needed clearance between parts, thick/tall metal to carry the weight, ect.

Nothing wrong with dreaming, however to be blunt...I think you need to go stand in front of a mirror & ask yourself: "Do I have the knowledge, tools/equipment to pull this off? Is THIS really THE best plan?" Then come back on here & report

Your last picture simply can't work...you were closer in the beginning. Look where the centerline of the front tire would be off the ground...& the back? Look at it this way: Why do companies make & guys do C-notches? To get clearance above the rear axle with the frame lower. The only way yours could maybe work would be to put the axle above the frame...No don't do that, I'm kidding! Where would the transmission be? How much clearance is between the trans tunnel & the bottom of the dash? Not 6"
Hewittca had it figured!

A 2" bodydrop on these trucks works out real well & can be done where only the rather knowledgeable Chevy truck guy will even notice. Another 2" here & a couple more there & now you have something that can work. A flip on the rear, lower the frame on the spring hangers, ect. & you are 8"-9" lower. Maybe go to the trailing arm deal, you still need something to "fix" the problem of: Tire is XX tall, center is basicly half that...this is where the axle tube is going to be. How can we get everything down there? Haven't figured any staggering of the frame like Hewittca did.

There is NOTHING wrong with the original steering column...spend the money on spindles or something that you would spend on that Flaming River column.
By the way, shortening a steering column is a piece of cake compared to some of this other stuff. Go find a mirror! Again, I hate to be critical, however sometimes I think thats what is needed. Lorne
HAULIN' IT is offline   Reply With Quote