View Single Post
Old 04-22-2017, 11:19 PM   #34
e015475

Re: 49 GMC Five Window

It might of had something to do with the painters I got quotes from. I tried to find painters who'd done custom work that I'd actually seen and liked. Two of them had national exposure in some of the magazines and one had experience working for a local Mercedes collector. Criagslist and the paint supply store BB is full of hacks with a spray booths here too - most have some sort of experience in the collision industry and just want to turn the work in the quickest possible way. I've done a lot of drivers that way, but wanted a step up in quality for the truck.

I'm thinking this won't be much of a problem. I started the process of getting 'turn key' paint job before I retired the middle of April thinking I'd pay the painter out of cash flow while I was still working.

I think I can turn a lemon into lemonade. Now that I have a lot more time on my hands with retirement, I can do a lot of the grunt work myself - final disassembly, blocking, cleaning, taping for paint. I'll let the pro paint, but I can do a lot of the cut and buff and final assembly too. I'm looking forward to learning from a pro how it is done correctly. The only problem is that I only have a two month window before it is so stinkin hot here in Phoenix. Working in a tin building with outside temps at 115F in July under a swamp cooler is not an experience I want to repeat
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote