View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #10
1project2many

Re: Is It just Me or What !

It's not just you. Sales persons come into the shop trying to sell their stuff. It's brand X, Y, even XY these days... Doesn't matter. It's just a name. You can't trust a brand any more. Spicer aftermarket suspension parts once the same as Delco and some Motocraft. Why not? Spicer made the OEM so they knew how to make a replacement. We'd use Moog or (now gone) TRW and change ball joints every 6 months. Spicer would last 1,2,3 years. Spicer sold their aftermarket suspension to Raybestos, so I changed stores. That chain was bought out by a bigger one so I changed stores again. I have to go with the store brand to get what I want but it is the same stuff, same quality, same longer life. Now I see that Raybestos suspension parts was bought by Federal Mogul. I'm waiting to start finding Moog parts in store brand boxes.

Rivets get drilled out and old tools swage new rivets. Most of the time the braid can be re-used so that extra work isn't needed. Field coil screws are staked, require a press and special driver to remove. Easiest to leave that to the guy with the tools.

Sorting most important project first can be the biggest challenge. Not many hours in a day anymore. Kids n family always top the list, my own projects get moved down lower, and some stuff just gets stored for someday. In between is up for grabs.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote