View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 07:24 PM   #6
Speedracer39

Re: Alternator wiring question

I have a question for VetteVet ----this is your reply. It appears that your truck has been converted to an internally regulated alternator. Or at least they tried to convert it. I suspect that your drain is the resistor connected between the two red wires on terminals 1 and 2 on the alternator.

Normally the alternator is wired by extending the brown wire at the external regulator to the no. 1 terminal on the alternator, and then looping the no. 2 terminal over to the alternator output wire on the back of the alternator.

The best way to do the wiring is to extend the brown wire from the regulator to no.1 and extending the red wire from the regulator to the no. 2 terminal instead of looping the no. 2 back to the alternator output wire.

This does a better job of letting the regulator read any voltage drop down stream from the alternator and will keep the voltage up at the accessories for best performance.
From what I'm reading the only connections used on the alt is 1,2 nothing wired into the battery post?
Speedracer39 is offline   Reply With Quote