View Single Post
Old 05-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #380
sparkydog

Re: Porsche 944: Actually there is a substitute

Thanks for the continued interest in my build guys!

Well a little progress - the drive shaft tunnel will eventually need to be widened. With my engine shifted 1" to the right the tunnel will need to encroach into the passenger seat. So first up I added 4 simple tabs to the passenger seat rails and this moves the seat 1-5/8" out.

Next up is fabbing the trans tunnel. I mocked up the HVAC unit just to double check clearance and discovered that I no got any - clearance that is. In those photos you should be able to see that I've already cut out the bottom of my 944 HVAC housing. I did this in order to understand what lay inside the housing in that area and learn whether I have any wiggle room in that direction. I don't. Now I have more work for myself! (To re-seal the HVAC housing.) For now I have decided to just press on with the tunnel fab and know that I've got an issue there. When I'm back on the K member mods I may be able to drop the motor lower. If I do then I can come back to the tunnel and tweak it a bit to open up some room.

A final shot of the start of the tunnel fab. I'm enjoying this little task. The donor metal (dark gray) is courtesy of a Brother R450 CNC mill from my work. These mills come from the factory with a "shroud kit" that we never use. Each kit has about 4 large pieces of flat sheets. They were headed to the scrap bin but a few are now in my garage.
Attached Images

sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote