View Single Post
Old 06-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #10
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 1957 Chevy Grumman Front Disk Brake Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Why do you need the discs? Again, I have to ask the question. Unless you are driving a lot on winding mountain roads you do not need disc brakes.

Forget all the "modern highway" BS you don't need disc brakes unless you are driving it on windy mountain roads or something like that where the drums get overheated.

Just normal driving you don't need them.

Brian
The main reason for disc upgrade is drums are getting non existent. Below 1951 I doubt you'll even get parts for 3600 3800 other than wheel cylinders and seals. It can take weeks to months to find new drums if yours are not cutable. You can find some 3600 fronts but 14" rears are longer available anywhere.

The safety enhancements of disc brakes over drums are well known. The main one is if an outer wheel bearing fails on these trucks the wheel does not come off if its a disc brake. Disc brakes stop better with less maintenance, They don't fade in weather like drums and with the 2003 up parts this kit uses you can replace them in 10 years if you need to. Towing with a big van like he has its just a plain smart decision. Keeping up with traffic I one thing but you also need to be able to stop with traffic.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote