View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 06:01 PM   #33
Mike_The_Grad

Re: Mishimoto Electric Fans in Your 67-72 C10?

It appears that you have the correct pump for your application. The coolant actually gets "flung" off the "backside" of the impeller blades. So yours looks to be correct.

Did you notice any signs of coolant leaks under the pumps shaft on the out side of the engine block? It would show up as dried white spots on aluminum parts and isn't easily wiped off. If you don't have any coolant leaks, then you may have air trapped in your cooling system.
A trick I learned is to drill a 3/32" hole in the thermostat. It allows the air to be purged out while filling up the system.

Also check the pump for any sounds while you spin it by hand. Spin it both directions. It should spin smoothly and freely in both directions. Check the end play of the shaft by pulling/pushing In on the shaft with your hand, there shouldn't be any noticeable movement back and forth.

Which coolant are you running? I know that you can't run the old green type coolant with an aluminum radiator or cylinder heads. You need dex-cool or some other aftermarket coolant because of the dissimilar metals.

If you already have the new pump, slap it on there and run it. Burp your system real good. You can leave you rad cap off and warm up your engine to help any air bubbles escape. Is your radiator cap the correct type to allow use of a reservoir? Some don't, they just "pop" to relieve pressure.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote