View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 01:35 AM   #47
nail pounder

Re: '58 grocery getter

It's been a while since I updated, I always forget about the "build thread", but I have been working on it as time allows. I had rebuilt my vacuum wiper motor but it still sucked so I installed an electric. I was having a problem with boiling my fuel so I added a carb spacer, problem solved. Then I still had a vacuum leak so I ended up replacing the brake booster/master cylinder. Leak fixed and brake response is much better. I had some nasty arthritis that had been bothering me for a few years so I had arthroscopic surgery on my left shoulder. Feels so much better, and I can actually sleep through the night! So I think I'll schedule the right shoulder this winter. Bought some lowering shackles for the rear(not installed yet) and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Sid's drop axel for the front. If anyone has opinions on his axels I'd love to hear it. I also found a deal on some vintage slot mags with tires on Craigslist, 15 x 8.5 & 15 x 7 x 3.5" back spacing that I need to polish up. I've always had a thing for slot mags, I figured I'd try to sell the 31" tires to offset the cost a bit. Once I get the stance I want I'll figure out new tires, I still have the original wheels with repop hub caps on it now. I made some bed wood but haven't decided on the finish yet, I did a bunch of samples but can't make up my mind. Took the family to our local car show, & my daughter, son and I also went to the good guys show in Del Mar a while back. Last but not least I've decided to start stripping paint and shoot some epoxy over the summer, I used those polycarbide disks and I'm impressed. It's still going to be a tedious process but they are pretty quick and clean the steel up nicely. I do have some rust pits to deal with though. I posted the question and got some good responses, I think I'll be getting a small media blaster or gun of some sort. Anyhow, enough chit chat now here's some pics.
Attached Images

nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote