76 c10 w/ Saginaw 3 OTT
stock goodwrench 350 260hp less than 1500 miles on it
mech fuel pump w/ reg on it @ 5.5psi
edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb w/ electric choke
generic HEI dizzy w/ vac advance
E3 Sparkplugs, gotta check the gap, but remember they were good for hei
Init Timing currently: 12BTDC

Issue:

If I floor it or give it too much gas on the road/up a hill/etc I can feel/hear pinging. I have been chasing this for months off and on, so here is what I have done:

1. Verify TDC w/ valve cover off and it matches harmonic balancer
2. Set initial timing to 14 but I have been all over the place to see if I get a difference and I can't.
3. Set Idle screws - while maybe unrelated, my pass idle screw doesn't change the engine at all and might be stripped it feels like.
4. Check sparkplugs and they look good/normal condition
5. Added a fuel pressure regulator
6. Getting ready to replace the damn dizzy bc that's the only system I haven't replaced.

I can only thing that maybe the dizzy springs aren't right and the vacumn advance is off somehow.

Appreciate any feedback. Its a stock crate 350 and I really am not looking for anything crazy just good power w/ economy. I usually run straight 6's so this is my "big block" haha
You must be really sensitive!! LOL!!
You can feel/hear pinging!
I don't think you'll ever feel it but you could hear it (if it is actually pinging).
Likely you've got a slight missfire under those conditions.

You need to rule out timing as the problem. Confirm your timing tab/balancer by using a piston stop.
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...op_dead_center

But first thing to do is lower your fuel pressure to 4 psi. Your gauge might be wacky.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote