View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #112
Overdriven

Re: if you use photobucket for image hosting you MUST READ THIS

I noticed a few people saying they're using thumb/usb flash drives or external hard drives for longer term storage of their media. Be advised that both of these are subject to data decay. USB Flash drives have an electrical charge trapped in the chip to store your data and that charge degrades over time. The magnetic code on an external hard drive is subject to the same decay. Be sure to plug either into your computer every 2-3 months to refresh the electrical charge on flash drives and let hard drives do their thing to refresh the magnetic code on the disk. Personally I'd add a cloud based solution for redundancy, photobucket was mine but I've downloaded all my pics and deleted my account out of spite so I'm currently looking into options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Well PB got me too. All my thread pics are dead and I can't edit the posts. I have my pics though. That's a pretty shady way to run a business. If your main self promotion is a free image hosting and storage site I think you ought to honor the plan that those customers signed up for. Oh well the world goes on.
I've lost a bunch too on other forums. It would've been nice if they would've just blocked commercial stuff like ebay, amazon, etsy etc as those were supposed to be commercial instead of free accounts anyway. Then forum archives wouldn't have been decimated. But they knew they had a ransom like hold on the market as many forums never used to have their own photo hosting and you had to use a 3rd party host like photo bucket. As you said the world goes on
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote