View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 06:34 AM   #23
luvbowties

Exclamation Re: is this an air assist for brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumyn61 View Post
I think my plan is to buy a donor 77-88 chevy dually and use the suspension and hydro boost brakes as well as possibly the TH400 transmission.

The one thing I don't understand though, are my wheels going to bolt on to newer disc brake hubs?
Just a 'from my experience': I built a 1965 Dodge 1-ton into a ramp truck, and used it happily for several years, moving 2 'elephants' simultaneously--one on ramp truck and 2nd on a tow dolly or tow bar behind. (I kept in mind I was driving with inadequate brakes!) These elephants were often two 1971-76 Pontiac GranVilles and/or Catalinas(I bought mainly from a Pont.-Mercedes dealership about 140 miles away).
The brakes were all "original" exc. for adding a power booster. Never a problem; and then......

Sold my 'rig' to a friend who hauled similarly except to and from an auction sale about 100 miles one way. HE KEPT POPPING LUG STUDS ON REAR. I cringed every time he made the turn at my lot, often with just 4 studs on a rear wheel. He asked around and 'they' convinced him it was due to having just 5 lug wheels. Problem persisted until he sold truck several years later.
Please stay safe.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote