View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #324
scoot_mcgrute

Re: 1966 C10 Project Truck

I've been keeping an eye out for a new cab with a big back window for some time now and I looked at a couple cabs with small windows that were better and worse than what I have at the same time. A big window cab popped up at a wrecking yard a couple hours away from the house so dad and I loaded up with the trailer and headed up Saturday morning with the intentions of bringing the whole cab back. Turns out, a guy has been looking at the cab for 3 weeks and beat us out by like 10 minutes, dangit! Overall, that cab was way more gone than what I had and he just wanted the big window panel. Feeling bummed, dad and I walked the yard in search of another big window cab that I saw in their inventory list the night before. We found it and the cab was untouched. Since it was a knee-knocker cab, I was only interested in the back of the cab so we went to work cutting the cab up. Pretty excited to add this to the list of winter projects this year

Dad starting the cuts at the roof

Success!

Felt like the trailer was a little overkill for this but we did head up with the intentions of bringing a whole cab back so I guess I had to use the trailer

For the conversion, I will be cutting the interior panels out of each cab and spot welding the big panel onto my cab. That process looks to be pretty straightforward with minimal paint damage