View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #28
LEEVON

Re: 1969 long bed "Pappy"

Man oh man Pappy and I just had one hell of a fight. I wanted to change the nasty old steering wheel. It was severely cracked and broken all over, which made driving it kind of unpleasant. Well, I used five different pullers in all, ended up breaking the snout off of one and breaking a puller bolt off in the wheel itself. She just would not budge. I wasn't going to fight the broken bolt so I ended up cutting two large chunks of the wheel hub off so I could slip a large two jaw puller on the back to metal. I had to be careful to avoid damaging the column cover or internal switch. After getting a good position on the puller and using a large deep nut on the shaft, I FINALLY got her to POP! Still, the last 1/2" of the shaft bent badly. I cut the threads off and repaired it cleanly with just enough left for a full nut and washer on the new wheel. NEVER have I fought a steering wheel like that, and I have a good collection of them. It had to be done though.

Also, got a new muffler...hard to tell if he's even running now, so quiet and smooth. I think we're ready for movie day.
Attached Images