View Single Post
Old 08-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #248
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

While I was removing all of my images from Photobucket the other day, I came across this one.

I bit the wire harness with the grinder while working on the frame. This happened three or four years ago and I'd completely forgotten about it. At the time, I was focused on the frame mods and paint prep, and I wasn't thinking this portion of the harness would be used. In hindsight, I should have stopped and repaired the wires right then, (lesson learned).

I really had to look closely at the pictures and mistakenly believed to was the rear harness (fuel pump, level sender, ABS sensor and rear lighting).

Looking more closely at older pictures from this, (the details in the image, like the factory weld on the frame), I was mistaken about it being anything involving the rear harness (relating to the grinder bite in the image).

The damage is in the harness behind the motor, on top of the transmission. Not the engine management harness, but the chassis harness that feeds the ECM and engine management portion of the harness. Computer failure diagnosis supports this, as it has to be a live 12v to the ECM, the smoking computer supports this, the moving that part of the harness to cause a second smoke event supports this, and finally, the pictures support this.

The way the harness lays between the top of the transmission and the cab floor, it isn't possible to see the damage with that part of the harness installed. I'm going to have to suck it up and remove that portion of the harness from the truck so I have access to the damaged area and can properly repair it. Once that is done, the truck will start and run.

-Joe
Attached Images